Saturday, January 07, 2012

Facebook's new Timeline - any good?

I've been using Timeline for the better part of a month now, and frankly, I like how it allows me more control of the page - how it gives a webpage like look, and how it gives an easy to view two column layout.

For my part, I've selected as my timeline profile a picture of the moon (in eclipse mode) - a minimalist view... and why did I choose this? The moon picture gives an aura of mystery and simplicity... two traits I carry. If you've met me, you might agree.

In a way, I'm more open in Facebook than, say, when we meet personally - but you have to realize that this openness has percolated for months... years even, hence it looks like I share a lot more in FB, than I would in a party or social gathering. Not to mean I shun discussions - just that I choose what discussions to join and who to have it with. I envy those that can jump in a present a ease of opening up and sharing discussions with others. On my part, if I'm not talking, its because I would really like to listen.

I don't mind sharing... after all, some would even say I share too much info in FB - and forma security perspective, that may be true. But if you don't share... or if you're too afraid to share in FB, then why bother with it to begin with?

To me, this last idea is akin to people becoming xenophobic due to terrorism. If you change your life because of them - then they win. If, on the other hand, you choose to be open despite their actions, then they do not influence you (or me) and they don't win. So there it is... my real answer to why I share (sometimes too much) in FB.

This is the reason I love Timeline too - it allows me to organize my life - to share my milestones and memories. Lord knows I've a lot of blanks in Timeline... which makes me more appreciative of having a camera with me daily. Call it a vanity... but I don't want to leave this world without even a ripple. FB's timeline is my ripple. If only for that, I would say it is definitely good.

No comments: