It's the middle of December - and in just a few more days (exactly a week from now) the Christmas season will officially start here in the Philippines' Simbang Gabi. The malls have started showing signs of decorating their surroundings with Christmas themes and television shows have started the Christmas countdown some months ago. Offices have already set up their own trees, and carols have been introduced into shopping center's piped-in speakers. Yet despite the obvious trappings of our surroundings, I seem to detect a lack of enthusiasm for this Christmas - ans to seemingly cooperate with the lack of spirit, even the weather has deemed to make us think it's close to summer than the usual cooler ambiance that accompanies December. What gives?
Well for starters, everyone around the world is seemingly reacting to the sobering news of a sluggish U.S. economy that has officially been in Recession since last year, and quite possibly Depression - if corrective actions that are being undertaken do not pump some much needed stability and confidence in its buyers and creditors. Since life seems had in the west, the eastern hemisphere seems to be reacting - specially in a market closely tied together with trading through the internet, one shrinkage is easily felt across either the Pacific or Atlantic... and a market as large as the U.S. is hard to miss - nor its repercussions easy to avoid.
It is in this backdrop that this year's Christmas seems bleaker than usual... where we normally try to forget the year's worries and problems to try and celebrate - to get into the spirit of giving (and receiving), I notice a dearth of spirit... and some multinational companies showing effects of a tighter U.S. economy by likewise tightening their belts is not a positive indicator that things are getting better.
Indeed, many companies have started their belt-tightening activities... this despite the fact that economists try to point out that our fundamentals are stable... but are seemingly met by a deaf crowd, that presumably believes otherwise. Again, let me emphasize here - the Asian Development Bank has been asked - possibly several times, if we (Asia) will be in a recession - and the bank has repeatedly said that we are not.. but has this been emphasized by media? Meanwhile. many people are hunkering down to preservation mode - not willing to spend and therefore letting the economy slow down... not because of having no money - but because they are wary of spending money in a seemingly unstable world.
With banks and Auto industries citing financial woes - with real estate being sluggish, with the seemingly impossible meltdown of institutions like Citicorp and A.I.G., one would think that this will definitely be one of the worst crisis the wordl has collectively faced.
Personally, it seems not too promising - Accenture has (out of the blue) pulled out all its scheduled trainings (hence my bread and butter) for the rest of the year. And there may be some uncertainties as to what can happen next year. Everyone is holding their collective breath... many fear the worst. Its a classic who moved my cheese moment - and I have been farming out for other opportunities in a 'not putting every eggs in one basket' basis. I may be affected with a sudden loss of PrimaryEdge training B.P.O. contract with Accenture, but I'm not totally out of the fight... plus I'd trust Car (Testa) to likewise be able to negotiate another year (at least) of servicing Accenture's training needs. now if things don't happen that way - well, there are other options... but I won't lose sleep over 'what may be', focusing rather on what I can do.
Maybe now is the best time to remind ourselves that Christmas is not about material gains - granted it helps make the season merry... but simply focusing on gift-giving (or receiving) is the wrong philosophy -its the wrong practice, and it definitely runs counter to the original Christmas story. Its about giving... yes; and receiving - but this is basically about sharing... about remembering the arrival of our savior Jesus Christ (yes I'm Roman Catholic). Perhaps its time to reflect (once again) on the fact that the nativity happened in a most humbling location... a stable.
We may have problems - we may experience some slowdown - and until the U.S. economy seems to finally get out of the hole it finds itself in, people may hoard their money or belongings, we will continue having such difficulties... but this should not distract us from Christmas. It shouldn't affect our celebration. Counting blessings aside, we need to refocus on the meaning and spirit of Christmas.
Be thankful for what we have... focus on what is good. If anything, the Secret (a book and DVD) have told us the power of an idea - that if we think positive... positive things will happen. I mean, what can we expect when a lot of people foresee bleakness? Sometimes we have the capacity to have self-fulfilling prophecies - and if we are always thinking negative thoughts, what do we expect?
So what can we expect when a lot of people foresee bleakness? Sometimes we have the capacity to have self-fulfilling prophecies - and if we are all thinking problematic situations - aren't we just asking for it?
Nope... not I. Even if bleakness seems to surround us, I would like to focus on the positive, and everyone else should too. So do me a favor... stop griping, stop worrying... by all means, prepare for what may happen - but stop thinking of the worst case scenario - think instead of the good that can happen. Prepare for the better times, and lets start by celebrating (even in an austere manner) the true meaning of Christmas.
Its all about hope, people. Start acting it. Where is Christmas? Its always been with us - in us. All we need do is look inside... remember and be thankful. Oh yeah... and if you find the capacity to give - by all means, do so. You've surely got something... anything to be thankful for, so start paying it forward.
Even if its the hottest year, even if its one of the bleakest economy - find something to be thankful for. Guess that's what I envy about the U.S. they've got a holiday (aside from Christmas) for being thankful (unless you're a turkey). Share the love - share the spiritual wealth. Remember the true meaning of Christmas - after all, if we just let this pass, we'll have to wait another 365 days for the next one to come.
Christmas can be found; alive and well in us all - we just have to wish it so. Why am I so... spiritual? Why am I suddenly so... profound? maybe its the Coffee and Krispy Kreme I had - who knows? I just felt like blogging tonight - after a relatively long hiatus. What better way to retart with what is hopefully... a reminder to hope? A Meaningful and Merry Christmas to all - real soon.


No comments:
Post a Comment