Now that I’ve got a laptop computer, I’m thinking that it looks like my journal writing days may be further limited – I mean, even before I had this, the concept of writing had to consider the fact that I did not forget the journal, did not forget to write in my journal (which also included, of course, the pen I would use to write), so right there I already faced a few obstacles. Had I, for example brought the journal, it would be a different issue to consider my remembering to write – or my feeling like writing.
Of course, a plain journal still has some inherent advantages – namely it does not run out of batteries and needs no electricity, so I may still end up writing… though much less than before.
Still, just to let one in on the advantages I’m experiencing right now, I just started this journal entry while I was ordering my lunch in Kitaro, a relatively fancy Japanese restaurant – and ordered the usual… Kakiage – which is basically a deep fried vegetable dish; and paired this with a side order of rice and bottomless Iced tea (it really was hot, so I needed to cool down). And what did I do while waiting? Obviously, open the laptop and start typing.
When my meal arrived, I just saved my work and enjoyed lunch. Now… I’m waiting in the IMAX lobby, until it is time to enter the theater, What’s showing? Monsters vs. Aliens – my first official IMAX movie – unless I include the Disney theater experience in Hong Kong.
My problem is, I’m having a bit of a headache – possibly due to my having to try and balance my taxes… a hopeless cause at this time, so I stopped – resigned to the fact that I’ll be penalized for filing it late… but wanting to make sure it is filed correctly. Hence the decision to watch the movie now… on a Wednesday afternoon. To get my mind off the tax thing, and enjoy what I can (and probably lower my blood pressure, which is the possible reason for the headache).
So yeah, going back to the fact that I already have a laptop – it does allow one to be more productive – as I would definitely have the option to not just write articles for my blogs, but to do other things as well… as anyone with a PC can attest to al the possible things they can do with their computer.
Which reminds me… I’ve still got a scanned copy of Captain America’s 65th anniversary issue to read. A friend sent it to me upon knowing I had not read I yet (thanks again Sam!), and with this laptop, I can basically read it anywhere. I just need the time.
Oh well… thirty minutes to movie time, but I might as well rest my eyes, hands and mind… after all, I don’t want to be too winded that I won’t be able to enjoy the movie.
Movie done, and the story was great – there were a lot of funny moments and naturally, the 3D effects were wonderful too! Although that will be the last time I’ll decide to go eye-level with IMAX – as it comes across as too close for me. I felt like I was at the front row, straining to look at everything, and I noticed that the technology… whether due to my closeness to the movie screen – yeah right, middle of the theater seat row and I still felt too close, ahd some adverse effect on the movie – because the effects were not totally 3D in the outer portions of the image. But when I adjust a bit they become more solid again, hence my consideration that it was indeed my seating area.
By itself, it was a great movie – and with the 3D effects, it becomes a better movie – and unlike some movies that may have limited 3D effects for the duration of the film, this one seemed to be 3D all the way. Heck it was entertaining enough to keep me awake – on an afternoon, with me full, and having just about 3 to 4 hours of sleep.
So I’d say that yes, it was not my first 3D movie experience with today’s technology – the Disney one was exactly the same – but it was my first IMAX experience… meaning watching it that large – that engaging. Oh, but the Disney movie had other features… namely wind and water effects – I did not expect that here, of course, but decided to mention it in a compare and contrast manner.
I will definitely try to find time to bring the kids to watch IMAX… when the right movie comes along. Though technically, this one would have been a good one – except that Bryce had a date – and Bernice decided to stay at home. Oh well… next time.
As I said earlier,one downside would be running out of battery (another was feeling the laptop's weight on my shoulder after lugging it for the better part of a day) - and not having an electric socket to plug into... well, it eventually happened to me as I was enjoying some iced Cafe Mocha in Bo's Coffee around 5pm, while waiting for the time to pass before I called Bryce from his date (the very reason I was at the Mall of Asia).
So what did I do after? Lucky for me I brought a book along - I'm slowly reading Obama's Audacity of Hope... currently in the latter chapters, and this afternoon gave me the opportunity to shave off a few more chapters.
Once I linked up with Bryce, we tried looking for a few online game cards - and in the process found ourselves in Book Sale... a move I slightly regretted as I ended up getting three books at really low prices... but three books nonetheless.
We then linked up with Barbie, who had a reason to be in MOA as well, and after some snacks at Starbucks, it was home for the three of us.
So there you have it... a day in my life - not always the same though, but still, a recap of what I did this 15th of April... one that I could easily do, now that I have a laptop to lug around.
The Band gets back to practice
-
It has been a while, but we managed to have one practice session this May,
and I basically became the defacto vocalist for almost all the songs we
tried t...
1 month ago


No comments:
Post a Comment