Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Sting Christmas album - my review

Imagine yourself sitting in a relatively comfortable chair, as part of an audience who've gotten together in a hall - not unlike the inns of old. The winter night only kept at bay by a large fireplace's warmth... and in the middle of this inn's hall - or perhaps in a visible corner, sits the bard. As he strums his instrument, people ease up on their conversations so they can be entertained by this man.

The Bard starts singing stories - not just simple tunes to be repeated with certain refrains, and followed with a catchy beat... no sir. This bard tells us tales... stories that neither of us have heard - and are not privy to it's ending, so we strain to listen to every word. Got that in your mind? Good - now you're ready to listen to Sting's new album 'If on a Winter's Night...'

To say that this in not your regular Christmas album would be an understatement. If you're looking for songs of Rudolph, Santa and the likes - sorry, look elsewhere. Then again, listeners of Sting won't be surprised by this at all... after all, the man is known for his lyrics being deep, poetic at times, and definitely with a message. It's what makes Mr. Sumner someone I consider, not just as a simple singer - but an artist.

Having said that, how does his Christmas album come across? Well for starters, who says it is a Christmas album? Listening to it won't exactly set you up for Christmas joys - but the stories are indeed there. Like any Bard worth his ale and tale, Sting gives us songs of characters old - yet, looking at them in a new manner. Look to 'Gabriel's Message' and the 'Cherry Tree Carol' to get an idea of what I mean.

Then listen to his 13 other selections. As I said, it's not something you just set up and play in the background... instead, you need to focus on it, specially on the first run - or you'll be lost to the song's tales. In fact, I might even go far to suggest that you first listen to this with your iPod - that way, all the lyrics won't be missed.

So yeah, it bears some focus of attention, and for some this might be a big minus - after all, many people would rather sit back and relax with familiar songs of yore playing at the background while the Christmas lights flick on and off, and if you're the busy type this might not be the album for you - as I said, it can be entertaining... but not in an automatic manner.

If you're too tired to actively listen, I would very much advice you choose to listen to another - more traditional Christmas CD. But if you want to try something different... let the Bard entertain you. In a five star rating, I'd even be reluctant to say my piece... you see, I've listened to it... and realized that I need to listen to it some more. Sometimes, the stories take on a different light when listened to a second time, and a third, or fourth.

But this is just me... and in this instance, please don't take my word for it. Try it out. If you like it, great. If not... no harm done. For a relatively, risk-free trial, you might want to go see the Amazon site to preview a song or two.

No comments: