Monday, April 14, 2025

Positivity

Positivity: Lessons learned.

When I first read through this speech project, I thought – piece of cake. I have, after all, been writing journals for years. So all I needed to do was to continue writing them for two weeks. You see – as I wrote in the past, I used a freeform – ‘anything goes’ topic style. From my Wandering Mind to my Minutiae Musings - the entried were all about things I wanted to share... or at least have a place to post and read back once ina while.

However, when I reviewed what I wrote… I realized a few things:
- I can be surprisingly profound about life, love and how I am affected by it. I wonder what I ate, or drank those days
- I relate to myself, in a self-awareness capacity. Reviewing what I did, and if there was a better way to do what I did in a Manager/Leader’s capacity
- I tend to be accurate about certain analysis points (I predicted a Bongbong presidency way back when he lost the VP race)

Still… that was then. When I did this exercise again; this time… with focus on positivity and gratitude, I realized a few things:
- If you try hard enough, you can find something to be thankful for.
example: clean the ref to make space?
I became the human trash compactor for food items ignored by others for several days – just yesterday, I was forced to finish small white puto buttons, and a half pint of vanilla ice cream in one sitting - hey, someone had to do it.

Ref then has space for new groceries – and no food was wasted. When I told my wife about this, she gave me her opinion – something I cannot repeat, so I’ll just keep it as a personal term of endearment. :D

- Each small victory – and this need not be just my own, is to be celebrated.
example: my son moves from one job to another – but in a better company?
Congratulations! It’s margarita pitcher night c/o the family bar tender… me ;)

- Every trial will have their silver linings
example: my wife and I realized that she has a medical condition that will need an operation. Hence we’ve been to the hospital almost daily these past two weeks – getting different tests.

Silver lining 1) we discovered the advantages of being our kids’ (actually working young adults – but we still refer to them as kids) dependents and their Maxicare coverage. Most lab tests were covered, and Barbie gets a version of her annual physical exam.

Silver lining 2) My wife and I were thinking of having a vacation – even just a staycation. Well… wish granted, we’ll be billeted in the four star vacation destination that is Cardinal Santos Medical Center. Why just four stars? I can’t vouch for the food, yet.

How did I prctice this exercise? the Gratitude App.
In fact, if you are familiar with it, you will know that it can even help you think of topics you can start to consider being grateful about. If you have not tried it yet, I suggest you do. THe point of this being, by doing this ina regular basis - you may not be aware, but you begin to make a habit of finding and recognizing the positive spin to any situation.

As a trainer, self-discovery, and self-awareness comes with the territory
– but gratitude… that meant learning to appreciate the small stuff.
Put all these together, and they become the foundation for a happy life.

I’ve always been a realist vs. either that of being a pessimist, or an optimist.
But between these polar opposites, I’d rather steer closer to optimism.
With optimism comes hope, and that is always worth having. The Gratitude app, and this ‘Focus on what is Positive’ exercise helped me see things in a more appealing light. It helped me see the silver linings, and helped me be thankful in any day – in any way. It feeds me with hope.

I leave you with this…
Eat food to help make room for more food in your ref;
Nothing is too small to not celebrate, so look for any excuse, and celebrate often;
look for silver linings; specially in challenging times. It just takes a differing point of view.

Have a happy, thankful and grateful life.

No comments: