In a previous entry, I talked about how I was expecting the Cebu DisCon to have a Fiesta atmosphere... and it did not dissapoint! In fact, the DisCon delivered in spades. Let me share my personal experience here.
I'll post things on a per day basis, so the blog itself won't be too long a read.
Thurday, April 24:
My flight to Cebu was at 7am, and touchdown was around 9. Umfortunately, I was unable to disembark on time to join a morning boat activity (with jet skis and para-sailing), ah well... I got to rest a bit in the room I shared with another Division Director, Dan. Dan arrived earlier, and got ot join said trip, so I had the room to myself for the rest of the morning and lunchtime.
I decided to sleep, since I had not slept properly the night before while waiting for my arranged pick-up and trip to the airport. Unfortunately, I was awakened by someone in the doorbell - and I apparently received a welcome platter. Unfortunately, the name in the card was someone else, so I did not touch the platter's contents until I got a 'go signal' from District Director Jot. After all, it would be poor form for me to eat someone else's welcome platter. I later learned that the platter was given most arriving Toastmasters, so it really was safe for me to eat someone else's platter - he probably got mine. Anyway, I took a shower, then slept. I would eat later when I felt more rested.
When I finally went down to the lobby and out the hotel to seek out lunch, I bumped into Direk Jonathan (Division L Director), and Area Directors Karen, and Jon - all three are members of CITI Toastmasters, and apparently, their club President, Nancy came a day earlier, and was enjoying some cayak time, even as we met in the lobby.. I then sought out lunch; ending up getting a chicken with rice meal in 7-11 (what can I say, I'm cheap). The other places were full, so I avoided them. The weather reminded me of summer, and why I would prefer staing in the hotel. So I bought lunch 'to go', and returned to my room.
The next activity would be the Welcome Dinner for foreign Toastmaster guests and VIPs (past District Governors/Directors) and World Champion for Public Speaking, Aaron. So I opted to go register and get my DisCon kit. in the afternoon, then just resting until the time to get to the poolside area where the dinner would be held. I got in early and sat in on Sulo Advanced TMC's meeting, get together - leading up to dinner.
My first option for dinner? Why, the lechon, of course. After all... when in Cebu, we need to have Cebu Lechon. After which I selected other items in tidbits, then some non-alcoholic drinks, and dessert.
Some Toastmasters from Divison N started arriving, and since we had more than enough food, I said it was okay for them to join us. Most of them were from the ING Toastmasters club and GSM. Then the fellowship started. Aside from chatting with each other and having pictures taken, we were regaled by a singer, and guitarist - purely a laid back atmosphere. Then people were asked to render a song - one per table (at least) and I was selecte to represent our table. I gamely agreed, and when it was finally my turn to sing, I chose a simple, yet poignant classic - Misty. Even the female singer agreed that my choice was a great song. I rendered it with little effort, and that was that. I opted to return to our room, looking forward to a good sleep, and need to wake up and go down for Buffet breakfast.
The Band gets back to practice
-
It has been a while, but we managed to have one practice session this May,
and I basically became the defacto vocalist for almost all the songs we
tried t...
1 month ago


No comments:
Post a Comment