Saturday... in Mactan... I'd think it was the 4th of July... (from Saturday in the Park by Chicago)
After breakfast, we all trooped to the pavillion to listne to our special guest, World Champion for Public Speaking Aaron (of the Indian wedding, groom's best man protect shoes at all costs talk - look it up in YouTube). It was a light talk, and I was half listening and half going around the venue. My first action? I noticed PDD Ninio enjoying a massage, so I opted to have one as well. Shiatsu pressure points massage, and the guy really did a number on my arms and shoulders. Man... that hurt... so... good. (Yes I can be a masochist when it comes to massages). The masseus offered to use lotion, but hot as it was in the tant, I did not want to feel sticky with intructions not to take a shower soon. Luckily, no picture of me grimmacing was taken.
One other thing the organizers wanted us to do was to have an outfit per occasion. This time, it was to come across as Havanna inspired outfits. So don't judge me - this was as Havanna-inspired as I could get.
I think it would have been better to wear the shirt out than tucked in. And did I mention the heat? THe Pavillion's aircon could not handle the heat - I would also say it was because the canvas roof did not have any insulation against the sun's heat. Suffice to say, my favorite location was near the Airconditioner's cool air release path. Aaron's talk came and went - and I did not have the notes taken - anyway, it's supposed to be recorded, so we'll eventually get to watch it again later.
We then all witnessed the Finals for Table Topics and Evaluation contests.
After this hot morning, we had a hotter lunch time. I simply wanted toeat and return to the pavillion - while others had the patience to walk around and have pictures taken by the beach and elsewhere. I just wanted to enjoy the cool atmosphere.
The afternoon also saw us witnessing the Humorous Finals. A prelude to what was to come next.
Next on the agenda was the one thing that many expected to be difficult. It was election time, and one of the things we were looking forward to was having the passing of a resolution by the Reallignment Committee, chaired by Past International Director Dotty Du, and as members of the committee, she opted to tap all the Division Directors to have a complete representation of District 75.
Honestly, we (the committee members) expected some pushback from certain people / divisions because they were not fans of our suggestion for all new Divisions to start fresh with an all new lettering process. Some simply wanted the option to choose and keep their old Division letters. It wa a bit sad that one such proponent for this move was Division B, my old Division from the vantage point that I was a Past Division B Governor. Many were simply adamant to keep the old letter simply because they did not see why everyone needed to start from scratch.
During our deliberations in the committee and votation, we had a close votation - and a tie-breaker for such an idea. But the thing is, we throughly discussed all these options. Anyway, we were finally surprised when the motion was passed with hardly ang oposition. Yes, there was a discussion - which got a bit heated, and lord knows I was ready to talk as well, butafter all was said... the motion to adapt the committee's realignment suggestions as a whole, passed. Whem...
We ended up really late, but there was still one more event to attend, plus it needed another attire cahnge.
It was a night of Sunset colors. The Director's ball - something that usually is a formal occasion, was now being presented as an outdoor, tropical, sunset event. I was really tempted to just stay put and not change clothes anymore, but it was also a chance to take a quick shower after all that hot morning and afternoon. So yeah, backto the hotle, have a quick shower, cool down a bit, then take teh shuttle to the Director's Ball dinner. Shouldn't be hard and complicated, right? Except that while we were in teh shuttle, it suddenly rained - hard. Now mind you, the Ball was happening in the outdoors. I can only imagine the chaos that ensued then the downpour occured.
When I arrived with the rest of the shuttle delgates, we were met with a table of people under tenst with the outdoor tenst unoccupied, waiters moving tirelessly drying places up - changing table cloths, or simply removing them. The food, unfortunately was not all saved - water-logged server trays and some were moved undert tenst - but not all. Plates were also wet. I had to seek some dry tissues or table cloths to dry up a plate I could use from the wet buffet table, and then go to the dry ones to grab what I could eat.
this proves that we had resilience. After all, what would we do? Complain? Leave? Gripe?
As the night went on, we all decided to forget the incident. Eat what we could then enjoy the entertainment - after all, the rain stopped, and the party continued. Goes to show how game we all can be. Focusing on what we can enjoy.
As Toastmasters, we still showed our smiles. One downpour will not spoil our evening.
The Band gets back to practice
-
It has been a while, but we managed to have one practice session this May,
and I basically became the defacto vocalist for almost all the songs we
tried t...
1 month ago


No comments:
Post a Comment