This happens more often than you think. It is a challenge to do so as an arbiter amongst colleagues or friends - mor cahllenging still if you are one of the parties involved in the differing viewpoints.
So how do I do this? I use empathy. I try to see the other person's viewpoint - where they're coming from. Just because we don't see eye to eye does not mean I'm right and they're wrong. For all we know, both sides, when seen at different angles, can be right. Let's not let bias cloud our ability to reason and understand each other.
This can be chalenging, specially if there is a looking deadline, and you're too wrapped up in a convenient solution. Unfortunately, the convenience mqy be just one way. We need to realize that. Is what they're saying important? Not evenything can be logical, too. Is there an underlying emotional dimension here? Is there a need to compromise for the greater whole's win.
In my ealry days of managing a team, I was tasked with mamaging a much larger team - and naturally, people saw me as the 'go to' person to help solve issues. Upon discussions we found a solution - wht I forgot to do was include the person who was the outgoing head. Unfortunately, she did not see this as a solution-finding situation, but a bypassing of her authroity situation. She did not forgive me for that. Unfortunate. As I said, I was not wrong, and we resolved a concern - good for the business. Was it an ego thing? Perhaps. To this date, I wouldn't have changed the dicision - but maybe considered looping her in on what happened. See, I was busy with a lot of other things too... but I could have respected her want to follow a timetable more. Ah well...
The Band gets back to practice
-
It has been a while, but we managed to have one practice session this May,
and I basically became the defacto vocalist for almost all the songs we
tried t...
5 weeks ago


No comments:
Post a Comment