Friday, September 05, 2025

Memoirs Q50: How has your definition of Family changed over the years?

One would think this to be an obvious question. I mean my family has always been my wife (Barbie) and two kids (Bryce and Bernice). I would make sure that my everyday living focuses on how I can help them in any way possible. Specially since they are still working, and I am staying home.

By extension, of course, I would include my sisters and their family (Bing, Tizza, Patty, Migz, Eli). Likewise, Barbie's siblings and mom (Rose, Bart, Bernadette, Bea, Brian, Ben) plus their own families. I don't really included my dad because he has a family of his own, and I don't think I am fully welcome into that family. I know I am not a priority to them - so I likewise reciprocate the feeling.

Somewhere in the middle of all that, I would put Beowulf, our German Shepherd. At a lower rung, the cats Bluey and Bruno. Our pets are after all also family - sort of. Though Beowulf is moch closer to us that he cats.

Then I hae my close friends whom I would consider an extended family. Gerry, Fred are god parents to my kids for a reason. I'm sure they will help my family when needed. John is a friend I can count on to help me when I'm in a bind, though not as close as the first two. Then there's Tony, Boyet and Dave - more like College days freinds, whom I've shared some 'adventures' with back in the days.

Most these guys will be willing to help me an my family should the need arise. So yes, they are bothers.

Then there's my Toastmasters family. People I've worked with for some time now - people I can trust, and they can trust me as well. They're a wonderful bunch, and rarer than one thinks. For starters, most of my HOLA co-members - not all, mind you, but a good number of them. Some from other Divisions and Clubs.

That said, adding all these people to be my extended family proves you can indeed choose who to be family with.

I did it! 50 questions... compiling answers to various topics. Woohoo! Will I share this with others? Well... its not exactly typed out in a very private location. Anyone who does some internet detective seach can probably stumble upon this. I must say, though, having gone through this, someone can learn a lot about me... but not all of me.

No comments: