We weren't given values straight forward like. No posters, or kumbaya chantings, nor were there oaths uttered. Not really. So the values instilled were mostly learned through others' actions (or non-actions).
We start with Respect - of elders, of other people, of family. I guess that would have been ingrained. This later extended to realizing that respecting otehrs with what we say or do to them - hence the Golden Rule of 'Do unto others what you want done to you' - respect by calling people by their name (assuming we can rememebr their name - but even here, there is a matter of respect by trying to make the effort to remember their names. Nowadays, it is alos respect of otehrs' feelings, life choices, beliefs. Seeing others as people - as equals in society's eyes. Having an open mind about things, and others. Respect was ingrained in us early on - and it serves me well when I practice it on others in life.
Partnering this would be something that is likewise ingrained - though admitedly, something I at times forget to do. Responsibility, Knowing what you ar responsible for, and knowing how this may affect others if you do, or do not enact this practice.
Then there's valueing truth, or integrity. Being consistent with what you do, and say, and making sure that these are based on truthful knowledge. No pandering of falsehood. This doesn't mean I'm a saint... far from it. But when I am in front of others - what they see is what they get. No pretentions, no deceptions. If I were to foster trust in others, I need to show them that I am dependable, and truthful.
As a boy scout, we had these laws that we uphold. Turstowrthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent. These were the values we expect to follow - and I was in he scouting movement for the better part of my Grade School and High School. I'm surprise I remember them.
I also got some of my values from comics, books, and maybe even TV shows and movies. The concept of heroism - of doing good. Persevering. The Hardy Boys gave me a sense of advanture - a love for mystery and problem solving. It also exposed me to the concepts of friendships, family, and community.
I'm sure they could be others. But these were my early values - most of which I still practice to this day. They form my moral compass.
The Band gets back to practice
-
It has been a while, but we managed to have one practice session this May,
and I basically became the defacto vocalist for almost all the songs we
tried t...
1 month ago


No comments:
Post a Comment