I also grew up with Disney movies being shown intermittently, and literally liked their products (movies), from Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Bambi, Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins... these were great movies, and I ended up imagining how these things were done. As I grew older, newer Disney films would come... and as I endeavored to gather a collection of Disney DVDs, I would have my kids watch them and relive the magic with them as well - in this way, I could ensure that they would appreciate the Disney films.
I would, of course, remove the yearnings to see Disneyland. After all, this posed no reality nor practicality to me. Even if I wanted to see Disneyland, I had to contend myself with the thought that the closest I would get so something like it was to go visit the Enchanted Kingdom over at Laguna. To even think of stepping into Disneyland was, well... something I had put out of my mind - simply for its sheer impracticality.
I even thought I outgrew Disney's magic. Oh, I marveled at Hook - a Spielberg live rendition of Peter Pan's story as a grown up... but this was not Disney. Yet in some Disney movies, when things went right... I would find myself teary-eyed, take Mulan's movie... I silently wept with joy when her father accepted her for what she was... as opposed to what society expected from her. The Lion King was closer to home, far as I was concerned - after all, it represented tradition, teachings and a loving relationship between a father and his son. Hercules was a dud - and I think Disney did not get this as well as it could have, but their Tarzan was great as well. Toy Story (1 and 2) raised the bar with computer animation, and ensured my continuing appreciation for what they do.
This Hong Kong Disneyland trip, I will have to admit, came as a surprise. But it was a welcome surprise. Thought I would not openly admit it, I wanted to see Disneyland - my inner child was excited... and I wonder if my kids know how lucky they are. I had to wait for more than four and a half decades of my life to pass before seeing Disneyland.
I mention this, so one can get a feel of what I was going through, as I entered the Disney resort. I was cool and calculating on the outside - but my inner child was excited to experience something four and a half decades in-waiting.

Now that you know... I continue my blog about our H.K. Disney experience.


No comments:
Post a Comment