Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Touchy topic of Torchwood

In a previous entry, I had mentioned the creation of a Torchwood and Doctor Who site.

This is just to follow up on what I've been seeing lately in Torchwood.

Recent episodes that I've seen - specifically those in the latter part of season 1 and the pilot of season 2, has lately shown the character of Captain Jack (John Barrowman) showing overt - though not lewd, homo/heterosexual preferences - first with Captain Jack (the real one who died and who's name he took - though I must add that it was the original Captain Jack who took the Torchwood Captain jack to a dance floor for a slow drag), then there's the Pilot where Captain Jack, upon seeing an old associate, rush into what seemed like a fist fight - only to lock lips, then fight. It is also in this same episode that Captain Jack asks one of his team mate - Yanto, if he's open for a date.

Now, maybe its the British in the episode, maybe the show is trying to be really daring - I don't know. But is the show openly presenting the fact that the characters find having a gay relationship openly acceptable. Sure, there's a lot of trysts amongst the male and female population, and there was one episode where one female staff or Torchwood ended up having a relationship with another female (again, tastefully done) - but with scenes like this, I can understand the possible reluctance for these episodes to be shown locally.

I noticed some uneasiness while I was watching - a certain shock value... but only for a few moments, though I had to make sure my kids were not watching it - lest they get the wrong impression. After all, I may be bordering on tolerant if not accepting the practice - though not personally... as I've had gay friends, and can easily understand them - but not share their life. Sorry... call it my catholic upbringing, but I'm strictly heterosexual. But this does not mean I can't have gay people as friends.

Am I, therefore, a hypocrite? Nope... at least I hope not. I believe in diversity, and respect the lifestyle choices of others - so at least, I'm tolerant... but 'tolerant' sounds so condescending - and I don't want to be that. Like any parent with strong Catholic upbringing, I would be very uneasy should my kids stray from acceptable Catholic norms of heterosexuality. That is as honest a statement as I can give... but I don't see others - more so my friends who are in homosexual relationships as wrong... despite the church's stance or what it may say.

I'm just a realist to the fact that society does not look acceptably to the practice. By the way, I think the better explanation for captain Jack is that he can be bi-sexual... meaning he can work both ways... showing a greater openness, perhaps?

Has this stopped me from watching Torchwood - nope. But I'll be more careful watching it around my kids.

Again, ironic. With all the issues covered by both Torchwood and Doctor Who, I find that I'm not too open about bi-sexual and homosexual relationships. In a way, this is good - in a self-awareness viewpoint. It shows that I need to be more open and acceptable... specially since I do lecture on Managing (and accepting) Diversity. But apparently, there are still some lines I will not cross - nor will I find it naturally acceptable for my kids to cross. Hope this means I'm still an okay person - specially to my gay friends.

No comments: