Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Poor Internet Service (update)

For a moment there, it seemed that we'd be having problems with Globe as well. Let me explain... when the DSL of Globe was being set up by their engineer, I was at work - btu Barbie was home, and watched him set up the new phone, connect the PC to the DSL connection, and upon Barbie's query about connecting the DSL to our router, he said that we would have to do it later. Note that he did not tell her that this was somethign they did nto allow.

Upon my arrival, I did just that - attempting to connect the router with the DSL, I had to know tow things - our account number and password... something that PLDT gave willingly. But to our surprise, Globe did not want to divulge this.

Now maybe they had security reasons - which could have been easily dealt with by ensuring the router was properly configured - passwords and all... so it shold not hvae been an issue. The one obvious reaons I saw was that they did not want us to use multi-computers with their connection since they had a package at a higher monthly rate that automatically allowed this.

Now, being semi-educated in Networking concepts, I knew that the curernt set-up can allwo for this - or that there was no real reason - with exception to a business model for more profitability, to withhold the requested information.

It was only when Barbie threatened to report them to DTI - and being a Customer Service Manager, she knew the ins and outs of DTI concerns, and telling them that they migth as well remove the connection, that the person on the phone relented by tellng her that a hub could solve her problem.

Again, my networking concepts told me that a router is a more sophisticated hub. So why did we have to buy a new hub? This stance was supported by the technial people in the computer shop we went to in the effort of buying a hub - at least, these people were not after our money... and I did buy a hard disk from them before.

Anyway, apparently - the problem stemmed from having similar IP addresses - and though I knew the concept, the steps were harder to execute... consider it due to poor technical documentation of the router's part (did I mention that the model I'm using is apaprently not supported anymore - yet still being sold?).

Lucky for me, I've a brother-in-law who is much better in hardware set-ups than me. He looked at it and was able to conenct the router with the Globe DSL. Now we're looking at how things are running - no thanks to Globe.

On the bright side? So far it seems that the service of Globe is more stable than PLDT's.

No comments: