My New Trades!When comics are printed on a monthly basis, they usually have story arcs that span a few issues... maybe four; at times, six. I mean, it's easy to say these are stories subdivided into smaller parts and one gets to read them in roughly 20+ pages of stories - released monthly (or in some cases, weekly).
As a comic collector, I've been used to this buy, read and 'wait another month for the continuation' routine, and because I was a collector - past trades were not that interesting to me, since they represented stories of issues I already had (or, in cases where I missed getting an issue... mostly had). The price was therefore not that attractive to me... and let's face it, some stories were not worth the binding they were placed on - even if the bindings were better than your average stapled comic book.
So why am I seemingly slowly getting to be a trade paperback convert? Simple... there have been back issues that I missed out on - in some instances, whole stories... specially from DC's titles belonging to the pre-Crisis era. I know, some of you may be wondering exactly what I'm alluding to... suffice it to say, that was one big event in DC and it was a perfect steeping stone for me to slowly integrate myself to said universe.
One such title was the Legion of Superheroes... and one such story arch was the Darkness Saga. So you can imagine how glad I was to get this yesterday evening. I also heard a lot about Fables, and am likewise trying the title out. Advantages of trades therefore are two-fold in this instance... it gave me a second chance to get into opportunities (story arcs) missed, and the second? I need not wait a long time, nor need I worry about a broken arc with a missing issue.


No comments:
Post a Comment