My Test Design Class:This particular training started last Wednesday, and ended today - in the course of the conduct these seven individuals became quite inquisitive and communicative - not just with the lessons taught, but with each other's lives. Because of this, what was possibly one boring technical class turned into a lively -and at times, even riotous (though not too riotous, of course) 3-day session.
I was not the only facilitator here - as I was sharing the lecture load with Tess... and we were both amused with how the trainees conversations went - consider a typical workshop assignment or video-based discussion: whereas others would concentrate on their respective monitors, doing the tasks by themselves, these people would keep talking to each other... then later, across the room - to the others in another table regarding non-training related stuff... all while trying to do the lessons' activities.
Rather than stop this freewheeling discussions, I allowed it to keep going; all the while observing the group of individuals getting seemingly closer with each other. By day 3 some of them were joking around as if they knew each other for quite some time now. Imagine that. Tess and I even jokingly referred to some discussions in the same vein as a 'my grandpa is better than your grandpa' discussion amongst kids in a playground - these are all adults talking; mind you.
I have to admit that this has got to be one of the better group dynamics I've seen happen. Mind you, they were not probably the best combination of smarts - but they were most likely an ideal combination for forming a team... had circumstances put them into one project, that is.
Interesting experience. Too bad it ended. Their banters made everyone's training less regimented... less dragging, less boring. No one fell asleep - in fact, no one seemed to need coffee. They were all sustained by each one learning more about their new friends - and the training's lessons along the way.
This was one time I did not feel too drained from facilitating. I was too busy enjoying... listening to the side-conversations as well.


No comments:
Post a Comment