Monday, April 19, 2010

Photoblog - day 09, April 19, 2010

Black and White:

I've been opting to experiment with shapes and shadows for a while now... I even asked a friend (Brian) whose photos of faces I've found fascinating, how he was able to capture all the details of said faces of old people - wrinkles and all. He said that the trick was in making the pictures black and white. This way, the shadows would appear more visibly.

Since then, I've been waiting for the right opportunity to try my luck out on a similar endeavor. Today, as I was fetching my son, Bryce, from his swimming lessons, I spied this mural hanging on the outside wall of the country club where I met him and his girlfriend (Meiji), and thought... wow... it's got lots of shapes and intricate patterns - plus the sun was shining from one angle, thus casting a lot of shadows, so... take a picture of it I did.

Once done, I cropped it a bit - focusing on the main design of the two people, but making sure there was still enough of the patterns to work with. After this, I just turned it into a black and white picture... tweaked the contrast... and the rest is what you see.

No comments: