A rosary... you'll find it at many homes, pockets and... as in this case, cars in this predominantly Christian/Roman Catholic nation.
Our car has this particular rosary hung around the rear-view mirror... not obstructing the view of course, but meant to be a reminder of sorts that I - whenever I drive, need to be aware... conscious... and never angry or impatient towards my fellow drivers.
I need to remain cool and in control - and not let some crazy inconsiderate poor excuse of a driver force me to do car chases just to get even for a slight they may have done. Lord knows there are more than enough instances when my patience does get tried - and I do have the tendency to not want to be the aggrieved party... and yet.... and yet... I need to remind myself... maybe even ask: "What will I get out of this - really?"
I may get instant satisfaction or gratification that I was able to outdo a bad driver... maybe get even... and feel great for the moment - but at what risk? And did my actions solve the problem? Often enough. my honest answer would be 'no... not really' - and at times, I do need to remember that should any mishap happen to me due to my retaliation, I may end up worse off - than had I just allowed the other person to just get ahead or make their way in. Would my pride and strong sense of fairness help me and my family?
It's all about turning the other cheek... and by this , I don't mean mooning the guy. Nope... It's all about patience - and thanking a higher power for the safe journey you've had. Now let me put things into perspective... I'm no saint - far from it... and it's not about giving up one's principles - it's choosing one's battles - and knowing when it is worth it.
Hence my need for said reminders... and hence the need for a rosary in our car.


No comments:
Post a Comment