Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Photoblog - day 10, April 20, 2010

Sorcerer's apprentice?

This is a snow globe of Mickey reprising his role of the 'Sorcerer's Apprentice' in the film Fantasia. Despite being just one of a short spiel in the film - Mickey's sole appearance in said Disney film gave (at least in my viewpoint back then) the necessary Disney feel in an otherwise drab and different film. Take note though... this was from the viewpoint of a child so used to the usual Disney fare of colorful characters in great stories. Obviously, Fantasia's genius was lost to me back then... and it wold not be until Fantasia 2000 that I would get reacquainted with said film.

Going back to the Mickey snow globe - first of all, I'm not really a snow globe collector - but back when my family and I vacationed in Hong Kong Disneyland, I was naturally thinking of what would be the best souvenir program to remind me of our trip here. Naturally, I looked at the many shops offering trinkets and souvenirs - but could not decide on what I would like to get for myself... that is, until I saw this snow globe.

What I liked about it was that it was Mickey - the undisputed symbol/mascot of Disney... and it was in his role as the Sorcerer's Apprentice - though looking at this snow globe somehow gives me hints that this Sorcerer may not be an apprentice any more. I also remember that the price was very reasonable, so I thought 'why not?'

That said, I tried experimenting with this Mickey trying to take it from several angles - and seeing how the picture can be further enhanced via Microsoft's picture manager. I tweaked with the contrast a bit to make the background - which is actually our dining table's dark colored glass top, less obvious. Consider this an experiment with little to no lighting.

Just like the Lord of the Rings book-ends, I took a subject (in this case, Mickey) and created the opportunity for a photo shoot.

No comments: