Friday, February 04, 2011

Photoblog - Day 298 Feb 1, 2011

Anachronistic Service?

This is the Philippine Postal Service's main building in Manila - a great looking edifice with architectural designs at least 50 years old.

For a building this age it's been preserved quite well - perhaps a testament to the architect and engineer's genius - and the building's sturdiness to weather the passing of time.

But with the advent of the email, the population of the service's visitors has drastically decreased - in fact, I can't remember when I had last used 'snail mail', as it is referred to often in online circles. So one has to really wonder - is the postal service still relevant in this day and age? For now, the answer will have to be yes.

You see, the reason why I went here was to pick up a package (a book mailed to me, and in the interest of economics, what used to be delivered to my doorstep, now has to be picked up in the post office), so in that vein, I found the need for the postal service. Technically this was just the second time I've visited this building (for the same reason) in recent months - prior to this, I probably last visited the post office decades ago... maybe in the '80s.

So as you can see, I hardly find the need or use for the postal service. In fact, should I have an iPad or a Kindle, I would hardly need a physical delivery of any book. I guess, that's progress - but until everyone can have access (and the education that comes with it) to the Internet, realistically speaking, the postal service will still be needed. Anachronistic it may be... but not totally useless.

No comments: