Friday, February 04, 2011

Photoblog - Day300 Feb 3, 2011

Welcome Metal Rabbit!

Yup, like the usual New Year celebration, we made some preparation by buying fruits and other fortune-related practices, like Tikoy and those chocolate coins. Then we waited for midnight to celebrate - though not in the same intensity as the January 1st celebration. I will try to explain the practice.

The tikoy is a rice-based product that , when cooked, is slightly sticky and sweet (not to mention, oily). But the idea behind the tikoy is that it's stickiness is indicative of the family's closeness to each other... so in a way, this represents unity. On the other hand, the fruits represent having food on the table all year round., while the coins - albeit being made of chocolate, represents fortune and sweetness. Then there's the fortune cookies = technically props, but nice to have and open as we celebrated the first minutes of the Chinese New Year.

So yeah, this is a practice filled with old sayings...and as some people are quick to point out, these are just tales... with little or no proof ot their working - yet despite that, I know a lot of people still practicing these traditions.

Me? At the least, I know I've helped welcome the New Year properly - whether these tales happen or not, I find the presence of the fruits (and their consumption of course) healthy... so I guess, that's another reason - to assure one's self and family of health the whole year round. Wouldn't we want that?

On the side note... hey! My 300th post! Awesome!

No comments: