Monday, March 21, 2011

Photoblog - Day 343 Mar 18, 2011

New Books:

Once again I fly in the face of near crazed uncontrollable spending. I swear, while many women may find shopping almost like a relentless calling... a siren song to a sailor, I find similar feelings with reading materials. That's why leaving me in a bookstore is a sure signal that I, more often than not, will walk out with a new book purchase.

In this case, I splurged a bit - though to be fair it was actually two books each from two different bookstores (big deal, right)... ah, but what purchases. I was surprised with the Stan Lee book. I opened it to peruse - you see, I had long ago read a similar tome by Stan (and John Buscema) entitled How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way. Well to mu surprise, this was an update... with more art examples at that... so I knew I had to get it (the older one was long gone - a victim to floodwaters). Accompanying this - and equally adhering to my artistic side, is the book on storyboard construction... I may not use it yet, but who knows... some day...

From the other bookstore, I discovered the Back of the Napkin book - a visual manner to problem solving. I knew this would be useful to me as a facilitator and manager - it was not a matter of 'if' but 'when'; besides... I had recently been reintroduced by a colleague (Mon) to mind mapping - which emphasized the importance of visualization, hence I saw some parallelism. The other - a Nat Geo magazine, is an experiment. I've always admired the pictures... now I wanted to try the articles - if like what I read, it might just start a new hobby (hoo-boy).

No comments: