On top would have to be love for Family. I have it ingrained that I would give my family the prioirty for my life choices. Call it a reaction to my childhood trauma with a broken family - but this is something I want to make sure I am able to work with. Family first.
Next would be the want to 'help others' a.k.a. Servant Leadership. This has been ingrained in me for how long? I don't know. Maybe it's an offshoot of reading all those super heroes comic books stories. I'm not a total loon who must fight everyone for Truth, JUstice and whatever was the current option of bleeding hearts. I like Cpatain America, and beleive for what his character represents, but I won't be like him to step out of m way to help others - unless I see abuse happening in public. You can say that I have a moral compass.
It just so happens that I'm already in the middle of the Toastmasters organizational experience, that helping can be easily focused on a Role Taker assignment, or an officer position, or being a mentor. Of course, I also need to manage my time with them - I don't want to be too busy with Toastmasters, that U don't have time for family. There were times just a few months ago where I was limiting my choosing to accept invitations, because they were comming in too often and too close to each other.
I'm wondering if there is a third value? It seems to intersect with the second - which is about having friends. Yes, I have Toastmsaters friends, but I also have non-Toastmaster friends. I enjoy get togethers - but other situations with friends had to be set aside becasue of a Toastmaster activity, or with my preference to spend time with family. An example would be the Band of Bastards. I love hanging around with them, and making music magic. It's just that I had to prioritize Toastmasters activities, and reserve the weekends with family. Funny thing is, sometimes, we as a family don't really do anything - but staying home and chilling with them is still enough. Knwoing that there may be a time - maybe next year, when we won't be complete anymore because our kids may be working elsewhere in a different hemisphere. So I guess I'm enjoying them while I still can.
If I were to adhere to core values, Integrity would be one of them. Respect as well, Loyalty? Depends... this need be reciprocal, and unquestionable. I will probably come back to this some day to update and adjust my answers to this query.
The Band gets back to practice
-
It has been a while, but we managed to have one practice session this May,
and I basically became the defacto vocalist for almost all the songs we
tried t...
1 month ago


No comments:
Post a Comment