Tuesday, August 05, 2025

Memoirs Q13: Can you recall the time when you took a Significant Risk? What was the outcome?

I'm normally a stay safe kinda guy. Not that I'm risk-averse, more that I am a realist in looking at what I can try to get away with vs. what I can lose. I also try to make sure any potential stupidity on my end will not adversely affect those I hold near and dear (i.e. my family).

But there were probably a hadnful of times I just threw caution to the wind, thinking 'to hell with it' and worried about how I'll fix things later. One that comes to mind was the work I was doing before I went ot my Asian Development Bank days. I was working for an insurance company, and reporting to the boss. My role? computer programmer - later, IT guy.

Thing is, aside from being the IT guy, I was dragged around and introduced to the Junior Chambers. But this was not for my benefit, but for his numbers game. He did not really think of others, nor was he thinking of being a volunteer - nope, he was more concerned with getting richer, and having the prestige to get more. He was manipulative, and got people to work for him - preferably 'yes' men.

Thing is, I'm not that kind of guy. I questioned his motives internally - until I started becoming less 'yes' oriented and more, 'I'll do what I think is right', or 'what is morally right' technique. So naturally, I started drifting farther from the tight circle of trust. It simply came to a point that I just called it wuits. Did not bother to return to work, and ditched the job.

I just abandoned the work. No resignation letter. I just could not take more of working for the guy.

Lucky for me, I found the ADB work fast, and decided to go for it.

Why was this risky? Abandonment? That could have been the action taken against me - but I did not care. I guess I wasn't worth the effort. I think he also knew that I knew a lot, and did not weigh the pros vs. cons. I just made sure our orbits never crossed. When the tpoic was about him, I just kept quiet, and listened with disinterest. If it was a critique of his leadership, I would just nod sagely. But boy, did his successes seem misalligned with what I read about leadership. Then again, there can be so many suckers - specially if they don't know him.

How did this turn out? My work in ADB was lightyears better for my psychie. I became happier, and more productive. So definitely, it was worht the risk. How did this turn out>

No comments: