Wednesday, August 06, 2025

Memoirs Q16: What Hobbies or Interests have you pursued that bring you joy?

For a long time, since Grade School, my answer would be collecting comic books - specifically the Marvel Comics group. I can trace my early interest back to my Grandmother, bringing home comics, and there would be a pile on the bedside for her, and her partner, to read (her husband died during the war). One fo the early memories I have was Captain America struggling against the Fourth Sleeper - he was so outclassed, yet he persevered.

I recognized Cap and other heroes because of the classic marvel cartoons - the one where they literally get a panel from the comics then move parts of it for action movement, while adding action sound effect ballons. This started my love for Marvel comics. Of course, I also got introduced to groups like the Fantastic Four, Avengers (of whom I knew several characters like Captain America, Iron Man and Thor), and the X-men.

It was in the middle of High School when they introduced the All New, All Different X-men - and I really used this as a starting point to collect a title continuously. The FF and Avengers were great - but I could not just start them because the issue numbers were too large - too many back issues that I could not find. In that same regard, I collected the Defenders. When John Buscema returned to the Avengers, I used that as a jump on point as well.

I would naturally copy, and learn to draw, some artists - chief being Neal Adams - loved his X-men, his Kree-Skrull Was (Avengers), and across the Distinguished Competition, Batman / Detective Comics. I also liked Jim Starlin, George Perez, John Buscema, Jim Aparo, Dick Giordano, Terry Austin, John Byrne, Jack Kirby (though more his older stuff), John Romita Sr. I can talk about comics for hours. Yes, I finally started collecting DC titles starting with Crisis on Infinite Earths (and boy was I confused with so many characters), I also strted collecting Teen Titans by Marv Wolfman and George Perez. Those were masterful stories. The Judas Contract has to be one of the best slow burn stories ever.

I have a small sense of pride seeing people now recognizing the cahracters and stories I grew up with - though I would be utterly disapointed when the stories do not follow the characters - which is why to this date, I have not watched the 3rd Fantastic Four movie (what were they thinking of?), but will highly reccomend Fantastic Four First Steps.

Another passion, if you can call it that, is music - yes, I got into the Disco era by knowing the music - I could say I had a sens for great music... not just dance music but Folk Rock and Country. I collected records, as I wanted to be in charge of the party's music. Since we had casssettes, I would create a cassete full of dance or slow music. Then when I place the cassete in, I would rush to the woman I would like to dance with and ask her for the dance even before the music started. Call it a sort of insider information. Hey, I would have to come all the way from behind the DJ's booth, so I needed the early knowledge. I was active with my love for music from late High School to Early College.

Another passion - something I always wanted to try, but did not have the finds to pursue back then was Photography. It was later, when Digital Cameras started becoming cheaper, that I jumped into finally try my hand with photography. I went in deep - but not as deep as I would have wanted. Still, to help practice and get myself into the groove, I set up a Project 365 blog. This tacked blogging and photography - two interests in one. I tried Black and White photography, colored. My one frustration - one I'll hopefully get to try some day are photography with models - hopefully nudes. But even if not, I would like to practice with models - and not have to force my family to pose, or take stolen shots. As it is, I take pictures of my pets... at least they don't complain.

One more passion would be reading - I am an avid reader, though nowadays I seem to gravitate more to ebooks and audio books. Call it a need for space. I have plastic boxes filled with books I can't display, but if and when they're up - I would love to hang around my books. I love Fantasy, Science Fiction, some Self-help books. I even had a complete collection of the hardbound Hardy Boys - until termites got to them. Ah well...

Is there anything else? Well... one more... Role Playing Games. Dungeouns and Dragons with friends. But I was known for running the TSR Marvel game - of course. I used my deep knowledge of the characters to help enrich the games.

Is there any connection to them all? I'm sure there is. But I will have to think on it.

No comments: