Thursday, August 28, 2025

Memoirs Q 36: What Aspirations do you have for the Future?

A hope or ambition of achieving something... you'd think that at my age, I have no aspirations, or if I had - and not yet achieved them, I'd have given up. Instead, time and age, have made me adjust some of these aspirations. For one, I wanted to be an astronaut. Blame Flash Gordon and the likes. I wanted to explore strange new worlds and be a pulp hero. Yeah, lots of imagination. Well, science has disproven having life on Mars or Venus - unlike the Edgar Rice Burrough days. And I found it highly stacked against me to qulaify for a space program. After all, we were not a space age country with the needed scientists and fundings... much less, the opportunitues to pursue such. Heck, even now, I can't afford a space ride - it's too expensive.

So what else? I've wanted to be a Disco DJ. For a while, I was doing that - though not professionally. Just in High School parties. I would be the guy who know the great dance music - compile them and record in cassetes for continuous play for people (myself included) to dance with. But Life happened, and I could not enjoy those without sacrificing schooling. Even if I did not really like the course I took, I still needed to push through with a college degree, and hopefully land a lucrative job. But definitely not as an accountant.

I had thoughts of being a Doctor - I could help people. Heal. But my dad, and grandfather had other ideas - and disuaded me from pursuing such. The irony of this was that when my dad and his side of the family was getting older, they started lamenting the fact that there was no Doctor in the immediate family. Fools... definitely a lack for foresight. I doubt they remember that crossroad in my life.

I did find the ability to help. Maybe not heal, but definitely help - as a trainer. I imparted knowledge to others. This was what I did for decades. In fact, when I aspire for something, it is usually with the intent of helping others get better in their needed skills. As a Toastmaster, I've found opprtunities to help people improve.

But my greatest aspiration? To see my children - my legacy, improve to be better than me, and be leaders and influences in their chosen fields. My son is in IT, and my daughter in HR. I hope they find both success and happiness in their chosen lives. Meanwhile, I hekp where I can. One feedback at a time.

No comments: