So many to choose from.
I kid you not. From a character-building moment, I would have to say the Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien, I mean who wouldn't want to be part of such a selfless adventure to save one's world? Thogh it may be a fantasy genre, the characters shine here. Who did I relate with? That would have to be Strider. Mysterious, serious, capable, with a hint of dangerous. I mean, he is the reason I started liking Rangers as a class. You come and go, help in the periphery - fend off evil with nary a realization by others that you are doing this for their benefit - in other words, not for getting famous, not for seeking publicity.
Then as the story moves forward, we learn that his leadership may have a sense of destiny. He may be a naturally born leader - but since he's from a family that sort of failed to end the problem they now face... well, he does have a need to prove himself. He offers his sword, and we know his word is his bond. He picks up freinds - not because of who he is, but more of how he treats others. Yup. Strider a.k.a. Aragorn was someone I wanted to emulate.
Naturally, when the movie came out, I was elated. I mean I first read thr trilogy in the 80s during my College days, then reread it again some time in the 90s, and again in the 3000s - at least until the movies came out. From here on then, I watched the movies and marveled at the production quality. Did the movie do Aragorn right? Well there isn't much to compare with, so I guess Vigo Mortesen rendered Aragorn just right.
So both from a book and moview aspect, LOTR is up there in influencing me.
Is this the only book, though... not a chance. From a self-improvement perspective, I would have to mentioned Steven Covey's 7-Habits for Highly Effective People is an influential tome t understand how one gets better. It isn't easy to follow in totality either - but what it mentions is logical, and should be emulated, if you want to improve your inter and interpersonal self.
Another book? Situational Leadership by Paul Hersey, It gave me a great model to follow in terms of leading others. 've been using it since the 90s. So that's how influential it really was.
The Band gets back to practice
-
It has been a while, but we managed to have one practice session this May,
and I basically became the defacto vocalist for almost all the songs we
tried t...
1 month ago


No comments:
Post a Comment