Saturday, July 10, 2010

Photoblog - day 88, Jul 7, 2010

My New Stash...

As you probably noticed with my previous posts, whether directly or indirectly being part of the topic - I do read and collect comic books... or as the more sophisticated crowd would insist... graphic novels. This is a hobby I've had introduced to me by my grandmother way back in my early childhood days. I remember her bringing stashes of these home from work - maybe she bought it from a newsstand nearby, and would allow me to read them. Of course, I would more often gravitate to the drawings... but early on, I did recognize Batman and Robin... thanks to Adam West and Burt Ward - but the others were a bit strange - but interesting, none the less.

I would read them after my grandmother and step-grandfather would finish with them - and at times, would wonder how stories went since the continuity of one issue to the next was rather suspect back then. I was not sure what happened - but at least I got to read and appreciate them.

Flash-forward nearly five decades later and here I am now... continuing the legacy she subconsciously awakened in me. I get my comics at least once a month from my regular retail shop, timing it with when I grab my paycheck - or at times, when I find myself close to a comic shop and I can't help but peek in to see what has arrived.

This batch I did get from my regular... as I have an understanding with them regarding what titles I want to buy - thus they do me the favor of setting aside copies of said titles for me when they arrive... awaiting my picking them up. Why do I like this hobby? Aside from the fact that I grew up with these characters, I like reading and imagining... I like the concept of good triumphant over evil, and all the other corny aspects. Most of all, I guess, I like the connection it gives me to a more innocent me all those decades past. Oh... and this particular batch was a sort of reward I gave myself for being able to have the car go through it's usual 5K maintenance check-up as I likewise had my annual physical check-up.

No comments: