What does one do when his world is literally filled with darkness? Seek sources of illumination, of course - in our case, a strong typhoon supposedly headed north of Manila still hit us hard enough to cause a metro-wide blackout. So we literally had now power for close to 24-hours (lights out happened at 1 A.M. - and only returned around 10:30 P.M., and in between, we were adjusting to a world without power (kids had no school because of this, and Barbie reconsidered going to work; since many places were still reeling from the storm's passing).
So again, what does one do? well, I definitely looked around the illuminated areas and spotted a glass pagoda that I got a few months back and saw how it was reflecting some ambient light from the candles - my mind played around with the light and reflections idea with said pagoda, and I grabbed my still-well charged DSLR. Was it kismet that I was reading some articles on lighting the past few days? Maybe... but here was a good opportunity presented to me in an otherwise dragging hour.
I wanted to capture the pagoda, glowing with light... to do that, I placed a small candle behind it and tried capturing the picture. It was a bit hard to do so, and maybe in hindsight, I better appreciate the help a tall tripod or a mono-pod would do to help me capture the picture better... maybe with a large enough space to manipulate and more with, experiment even... with aperture, light source locations and the works.
The pagoda is a symbol of intelligence and wisdom - and there is a belief that should you have one in your house - preferably the study area, if will help you with your concentration. Well this particular dark morning, it certaily helped me focus on it as a photo subject worthy of my daily blog.


No comments:
Post a Comment