By this, of course, I don't mean the usual universal (or at least, Earth-wide) gesture to insult others... nope... here in the Philippines - once every three years, we are tasked to vote for our government officials. Obviously, a task we Filipinos exercised today.
As a culmination of such exercise, we have our pointer finger (not the middle finger) dabbed with water-proof ink... also known as indelible ink. The practice is a fail-safe against unscrupulous characters who would try voting twice in separate locations.
Thus, this dirty finger is proud badge of citizenship - as it represents our collective efforts to elect new (and hopefully better) government leaders - and God knows we really need them at this juncture.
The finger you see here is mine, of course... as I display my badge of citizenship. I join the millions of Filipinos in showing of their proud and dirty fingers... and hope that in the coming months or years, it will not transform into the real, global symbol we are so fond of using to signify disgust and insult.


No comments:
Post a Comment