Got these in the weekend, but only go to read them today.
What's so unique about these is the fact that DC for most of it's title covers (and as you can see from this picture), came up with a minimalist cover design. What makes it a minimalist design is the fact that these characters are just surrounded by a plain white background.
Why is this so? Perhaps it's to signify DC's start for the new year - and the fact that they have announced 'drawing the line at $2.99'; which means that they have buckled conventional trends by their competitors (like Marvel) raising comics cover prices. DC argues, and rightly so, that the practice is in danger of isolating the fans from enjoying more titles. Is it working? Well, it's too early to say, but if this grouping is any indicator, it seems that I've got more DC titles than Marvel.
However, these are titles I frequent, so it's not as if this is a vote of confidence by me to buy more DC instead of Marvel - I mean, with a higher price tag, I'd still get a few Marvel stuff - although I may be in trimming title purchase mode, right about now too. But am I feeling the pinch? You can bet I do... and I may very well drop a few of the more not so entertaining titles from my list either this month - or the next.
Of this current batch, I found Superboy entertaining... not as entertaining as issue #2, but still entertaining enough to continue getting. So long as this creative team does not change, I'll continue getting this title. The JLA was also a feel good type of issue - a realization that this team (composed mainly of ex-sidekicks and ex-Teen Titans) IS worthy of the group name they carry. What next? Who knows? As for the Detective Annual, it has a story with two Batmen - Bruce and Dick... so it's an interesting study... though it would probably have been better had more inner thoughts by these two characters been shared.


No comments:
Post a Comment