Monday, January 31, 2011

Photoblog - Day 294 Jan 28, 2011

A Rabbit Year:

February 4 (or midnight of the 3rd) is the new year for all Chinese who follow the lunar calendar - and preparing for this auspicious occasion are the different groceries, department stores, book stores, restaurants - name it, and if it is an establishment that wishes to capitalize on marketing the Chinese New Year, they'll be having some decors reminding (some would even say, inundating) their shoppers with red colored posters, lanterns and other props signifying their intent to celebrate the Chinese New Year.

These have started sprouting up a few days ago - along with sales of fortune cookies, tikoy and other items that are usually associated with the celebration... including fore crackers!

Caught up in all this is the trend to buy fortune trinkets - to ensure that luck comes aplenty in 2011 - and with it... an abundance of fortune. Others even spend a little more to get items that cannot considered trinkets. Geomancers have a field day giving out their predictions connected to the 12 astrological signs - and it is now up to the people (forewarned in some instances) to take measures (or counter-measures) to ensure a prosperous year.

Do I involve myself in this? Not fanatically... but yes, I do practice a few safety precautions. After all, it's still better to be safe- than sorry. So yes, I make sure I have the trinkets at home or with me. The thing is... and this adds to the confusion - many Geomancers contradict each other with their predictions. In which case, I'd rather believe the optimistic one... after all, life is hard as it is without having to worry about you're bad luck due to the timing of when you were born.

So here's to the year of the Metal Rabbit - and all the luck it will bring us (I hope).

No comments: