Basilica:Funny, but in the three times I've previously been to Cebu (don't be surprised at the number, I hardly have had any reason to go there), I can't remember having stopped at the Cathedral and Basilica - both showing artifacts of early Christianity in Asia. Guess in the past, I had neither time nor real interest in them.
Nowadays I guess I'm more spiritual in nature, hence even in my busy schedule, I made it a point to find time to visit both... both to see these icons for myself - to satisfy my curiosity, and to have some quiet, reflection time.
I saw the Sto NiƱo, of course, and marveled at the line of devotees waiting their turn to 'greet' him. I stepped on one of the oldest streets in the Philippines and even viewed where Magellan's cross was supposedly encased in an outer layered wooden cross... I say supposedly because without seeing it, we can only accept the fact that it's there (or not, and just accept the current cross as a mere symbol of what was) - and naturally, I looked at the Basilica itself.
Having read 'Pillars of the Earth' by Ken Follet, I better appreciated the workings of the old church, comparing it with the newer cathedral I came form earlier. I doubt I would have taken anything but an unappreciative cursory glance at this old church - even a historical one at that, had I not read the novel.
My only regret is that I was on the clock - so I really had only time to take selected pictures of all these things... and not get to create a near photo documentary of said church.
Maybe, on my 5th visit?


No comments:
Post a Comment